Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Why Should I Join a Moms Group? My Own Story.

I work part-time. 
My kids are already in school a couple of mornings per week.
My child is just a baby.
I work full-time. 
I only have one child. 
I'm not due for two more months.
I can't afford dues or activities.
What if we have nothing in common?

Think parents' groups aren't for you? Do yourself (and your kids) a favor and really think about that again.

My Own Story
I worked full-time right up until the day before my first child was born. I enjoyed it and I debated returning full-time. After my paid leave was up, my husband and I agreed that I would stay home full-time to raise our son. I was overjoyed, yet completely unprepared for what stay-at-home motherhood would be like. (Who isn't?) I was the youngest in my family. I never babysat. Thanks to the heaven-sent nurses in the neonatal intensive care unit (my son had a slight breathing issue that quickly resolved its own), I never even changed a diaper until my son was two days old. Talk about clueless.

Those first few months were long. It was winter. Though perfectly healthy, he was a fussy little guy and I didn't know any better than to constantly hold, rock and walk him. In hindsight, who knows, maybe it was reflux or colic. All I knew was I was zapped! I wasn't miserable, but boy was I tired. And restless. And frequently wondering whether I was doing anything right at all.

Early Hope
When my son was four months old, I took my older sister's advice and contacted my local MOMS Club.  The first meeting was great. The president was super upbeat and outgoing and actually hugged me when I arrived. I'm not a particularly touchy-feely person, but I felt so welcomed and chatting with a room full of strangers came incredibly easily. Why? Because were were all Moms. After these last several years, it still amazes me a bit that total strangers can have so much to talk about once they learn that they're both moms.

My moms group offered a slew of activities and get-togethers and I attended quite a lot of them. At first the friendships I made felt a lot like the ones you have with co-workers. We might not have had much in common, except our daily work, but after a while, stronger, more intimate friendships developed. It was such a relief and a joy to have other new moms to talk with and so incredibly helpful to have veteran moms to give advice, as well. As a matter of fact, I found our pediatrician, pediatric dentist, preschool, and countless other resources through the other moms in my moms group.

Today
The baby I brought to those first meetings is now seven and a half and has two younger siblings. Over these past several years, my employment situation has changed, too. I've been a full-time stay-at-home-mom, a part-time contracted employee working from home with occasional out-of-state travel (say that five times fast!). I've worked at home with children under my feet and at home with a babysitter on hand (much easier!).

There were years when I attended almost every single meeting, book club discussion, factory tour, and playdate on the MOMS Club calendar. And years when I only made it to half of the meetings and half of the Mom's Nights Out. But, one thing has remained the same. I've had a few dozen (and growing!) fellow moms who have been at the other end of the phone or a chat box away on Facebook for 3am feedings, bullies, mystery illnesses, prenatal appointments, relationship hurdles, and celebrations of firsts.

A very dear friend of mine who I met through MOMS Club moved out of the area last spring. It was hard for me to see her go and, surely, hard for her to begin a new life in their new town. Yesterday afternoon (honestly!), I received an email from her that she was just elected president of her local MOMS Club. I realize it may sound corny. But, now I know she's happy and thriving and that her family is, too. You know that old saying "If Mama ain't happy...ain't nobody happy"? I think we all know the truth in that!

Motherhood can be brutal. You may have all the patience in the world. You may have as much energy as your kids and then some. You may have a spouse nicknamed Super Dad. But, there are days when being a mom is just plain hard. No matter what.

Whether you work full or part time. Whether your children are old are young. Whether you like running, reading, photography, couponing, swimming, shopping, or your favorite hobby is napping (I have honestly listed that under "Hobbies" on forms before...). There are other moms like you in North Penn.

There is a whole list of parents' groups on the Resources page of the NPUT site. Did you catch that just then where I said "parents"? In most cases, dads are welcome to join "moms" clubs, too! I know the MOMS Club I have been a member of has seen some over the years as has one of the Meetup groups I belong to. We all have some commonalities whether we're male parents or female parents. So, dads, don't be afraid to ask to join in, too!

While we're on the subject, the MOMS Club of North Wales is having an Open House TODAY, Wednesday, May 16th at 10am at Oxford Park, One Cambridge Drive, North Wales. Why not check it out? It doesn't get any more low-pressure than an open-house at a local park! They are also entering all visitors into a raffle for a Wawa giftcard. So nice! [UPDATE: Please note, today's meeting has been postponed and will be rescheduled. The new date will be posted on the NPUT Facebook page and listed on the Calendar.]

If you can't make it to the open house today, take a look at the Resources page. Currently there are fourteen parents' groups listed there. Fourteen! Surely there is one or more for you. Motherhood can be scary. Don't go it alone. ;-)

3 comments: